Is there life beyond the lab in the BioE program?
We do have lives outside of the lab. This page contains a collection of links, resources, and information for anything and everything related to life and stuff we do beyond the laboratory.
Bay Area Specialties
- Berkeleyside: Top notch local news with in-depth reporting — also follow its’ Twitter if you’re ever wondering when that power outage is getting fixed, why you hear helicopters or want to know all the foodie news to know in Berkeley
- 7×7 Magazine: A great magazine and website that always has tons of goings-on in San Francisco from food, music, fashion, eccentricities, and culture. There even have a HUGE visitor’s guide, so you’ll always have something to do.
- EaterSF: A great website to keep up-to-date on new restaurants and bars in the Bay Area (with a heavy SF focus).
- Off The Grid: Weekly food truck gatherings across the Bay Area. Delicious gourmet food out of the back of a truck.
- Bay to Breakers: Touted as a “footrace”, this “only in San Francisco” running event brings in folks of all different strokes dressed in elaborate themed costumes (or lack of costumes).
- Fleet Week: A parade of ships, Blue Angels air show, and parties all across the Bay.
- Football: San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, and Cal Bears — always something to watch!
- Baseball: San Francisco Giants (2010 World Series Champions!) and Oakland A’s: Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks!
- Wine Country: Napa, Sonoma, and beyond. Napa and Sonoma counties are ripe with wineries (many which have free tasting rooms). This is a great place to get away for the weekend without being too far away.
- Rock climbing: Touchstone Climbing, Bridges Rock Gym ($11 Groupons including shoe rentals + $7 student Fridays!)
- Berkeley Recreation: Work on your fitness, get schooled in a bootcamp, and center yourself in a yoga class in Berkeley.
- UCSF Recreation: Similar amenities as Berkeley but with an awesome outdoor pool with a San Francisco city view!
- Skiing: Sports Basement is a good place to purchase lift tickets for Tahoe ski resorts!
- National/State parks: Pinnacles, Muir Woods, Point Reyes, Stingson Beach, Yosemite, Big Sur, Point Lobos (Monterey)
- San Francisco Marathon: A beautiful course throughout San Francisco and across the Golden Gate Bridge. It is tough but well worth it!
LGBT Life and Resources
- UCSF LGBT Resource Center: Great resource for LGBT Folks; join the listserv for tons of events throughout the Bay Area
- Weekly Coffee Hours @ Mission Bay and Parnassus
- Monthly Happy Hours in San Francisco
- Berkeley LGBT Resources: Very active group at Berkeley.
- Queer Grads — Happy Hours, Coffee Hours and other great events!
- San Francisco Pride: One of the largest LGBTQ pride celebrations in the country.
- The Center: San Francisco’s LGBTQ Drop-In Center (corner of Market and Octavia)