2nd Year Paperwork

As a second year, you have still have a bit of paperwork to fill out.

Second Year Progress Report:

  1. Progress report for 1st and 2nd years needs to be filled out near the end of your second year of the BioE program. You will need to meet with your faculty graduate advisor (or one of the head graduate advisors) to go over your progress.
  2. Area requirement form should also be filled out for the courses you have completed overall (see the Graduate Student Handbook for more information).
  3. Program of study form is where you list major/minor courses, your three lab rotations, and, ultimately, your GSI/teaching position.

Qualifying Exam:
By the end of the fall semester of your third year, you will need to take your qualifying exam and fill out paperwork (as usual). If you are UCSF-based, you must complete these forms at least 6 weeks before your qualifying exam. If you are Berkeley-based, you have a bit more flexibility; however, 6 weeks is a good goal. You will need to fill out the following forms:

  1. UCSF-based: Qualifying exam application (2016) must be filled out. A Petition form (2016) needs to be filled out if one of your committee members is not on the academic senate and you wish to petition.
  2. Berkeley-based: Qualifying exam application form must be filled out and sent to Kristin for approval.

Advancement to Candidacy:

  1. UCSF-based: Report on Qualifying exam (2016) and Advancement to Candidacy application (2016) can be submitted electronically to UCSF Graduate Division.
  2. Berkeley-based: Advancing to Candidacy application along with $90 check (if you’re on NSF-GRFP, it’s covered by the fellowship — attach a note saying you have it) can be submitted to Graduate Division in Sproul Hall after you pass the qualifying exam. For international students, you can waive out-of-state tuition after turning in this form.